Thursday, 2 October 2008

They knew I was on to them. (this is geeky)

There was a constant flow of data on one network port.
300k on and off for long durations in the day.
I traced the traffic back to the server port.
Something, someone was pulling data from our server, nothing looked unusual on the file access logs and no unknown hardware showed up.
I can spot most common use, this was long stretches of data leeching with no apparent pattern and whenever I started digging it seemed to stop, mnnn not good.
I installed another managed switch in the unit serving only around five PC's and a wireless access point, logged that for a bit.
It was the wireless access point, oh yeah, here we go..
No unusual clients not many disconnects one company laptop that showed no network traffic when I checked it, watched for about 15 minutes, nothing.
Got back to my workstation and suddenly there is traffic, back down to the laptop, nothing asked the guy who uses it he has not been doing anything in fact he has been working at the workbench across the room.
So now I know it stops when I'm there but happily start when I'm gone from the room.

I got it about now, it was really obvious.
Shame I wasted an afternoon on it.
(Select the text below to see the cause)

It was his "My Pictures" screen saver pulling images from his documents on the server

No comments:

About Me