Friday, 10 October 2008

Adapter Porn

I've always been a sucker for adapters, not quite sure when it started but if there is an adapter that allows a item X to connect to item Y I'd rather like one, just in case, to allow experiments.
My latest yearning is a "digital camera" to "my old lenses" adapter.
Thats not so straight forward with my current setup.
I bought Nikon when I got a DSLR because it looked competent but a bit more sexy than a Canon, I don't really regret it but the narrow "clockwise to remove lens" mount drives me mad.
I have old Pentax fit lenses I'd love to try out but they DON'T MAKE AN ADAPTER (gags).

Pentax cameras fit my old lenses (see the priority here) and the adapter lust is not going to be satiated until old and new technologies meet.
The adapter shall hens forth be known as a Pentax DSLR.

I have saved a few quid for the hobby and the most sensible purchase would probably be some studio flash but they would take up space and open me to just more adapter lust (have you ever seen the range of studio kit available)
No the Pentax is calling out to me.
Its quite possible the lenses I have are rubbish but that does not seem to matter, I want to take photographs through the same lens I used in the 80's, just want too.

I tried to read up on the Vivitar series 1 70-210 in the hope I'd discover they were OK in their time but rubbish compared to modern glass.
I sort of sighed when I read of the five or so versions the most sought after is possibly the third series with the A setting, serials beginning 28...
Mine is, you guessed it a third series, with the A, serial 28505.. which means it was made at the start of 1985.
The lens has always felt solid and well made but now it has that distorted aura old things can get if enough people talk about a few good ones.
When I worked in a camera shop I'm pretty sure the third series was almost ignored.

So now this adapter addict has a beat up old film camera, one of the lenses being "mythically" good and no way to get digital shots through it unless I pay for another gadget.
One day it will be recognised as "separation anxiety gadgetry" or something but right now I am waiting for the K20D to drop just a bit in price.

(oh and for the record I have various adapters for the K mount bodies)

No comments:

About Me