Saturday, 6 February 2010

More of the same.

I bought myself a new laptop, HP5310M with Windows 7.
The last laptop I bought was a low end HP (NX6325) and its still working, typing on it.

I bought the new one because I need some Windows 7 knowledge for work and something more powerful/reliable all they offered was an old Dell D610 with XP and an upgrade, there's foresight.

Skype runs on this old thing but I can't use my old but working dual dect phone on Linux so that last little fact was justification to get something Windows it must run on.

So lets cut the the chase, the hardware is OK, quite OK yeah few issues but overall happy with that.
Windows 7, well it's windows so slower for quite a lot of stuff due to virus checking, updates and normal baggage, oh and it cooks the cpu, disconnects external harddrives, won't reliably shut down, reboots while your in the middle of stuff (I.E. fix). Oh and the Dual dect phone, installed OK but if you use it you can't hear normal sounds out of the fecking laptop speakers.

Cpu is quite good, nippy in Linux but for some reason 7 gets into a state and ramps the cores to full and the cpu heads for about 75C in a cool room.
I bought a cheap laptop cooler and run the laptop on that while in Windows and wouldn't risk leaving it running without.

On the 0-10 scale, you know "purchase-reward" 0-10
2 for this experience.
I've gone back to the old one running Ubuntu for daily use.
It keeps connected to external drives, doesn't cook up, doesn't give you that MS "yeah yeah I'll get round to it" lag that can only be covered up by more cores and memory it just works.
Sure I can't run Photoshop on it but it's more dependable than 7, on that hardware at this stage and can't believe I thought it would be any other way.

No comments:

About Me