Most times I get it I can relate to what people are saying by taking some mental image and looking side-on or squinting. It's not what i had pictured but see how you got there.
Recently I came across a mental construct, a value system used by someone else that seemed to bear no relation to anything I've painted in my own head from my own beliefs ever.
Imagine...
I'm stood in front of a row of ancient pews a well constructed and cared for by many souls over generations and the person beside me wants to cover it in concrete for somewhere to park their car, the conversation basically goes (me) "wonderful work of the artisan, toil of years, patina" (them) "if I break the side bits off I could even park my girlfriends car on it too"
For a few days I stumbled around looking for a some hook, some insight then a word sprang off a web page, a word I though I knew well a small one five letters two vowels.
Pride.
Pride is a profitable thing, markets are driven by it, wars fought in it's name if you don't have any you are a lesser being.
Here's the strange thing, in many (outdated obviously) circles seen as a dangerous weakness (no really).
It is one of the seven "deadly sins", so deadly in fact it got some angel called Lucifer cast out of heaven and re-branded Satan complete with clove hoofed makeover and new logos, that's pretty serious right?
Well I had forgotten Pride not that I was brought up with any strong religious views but if asked to name the seven deadly sins Pride would not have had a look in so I was a bit blind to it and it's brothers.
So the guy who wants to park his car can totally justify his right too because he has earned that car by passing expensive exams at university and now he wants payout, his own parking space and he wants it where he wants it which happens to be right here.
He is proud to be a proud man and proud men don't like to lower their gaze to watch for thing under foot regardless of how many lives were spend creating or caring for said things.
Every day he prides himself on getting new stuff, feeling a sense of worth from his belongings more pride until he cannot even see things which are not current, fashionable or his.
That's where we are, the TV feeds it, teenagers are bombarded with it and the world is driven to self immolation for humanities pride.
But I'm being so negative about it all maybe to really get the bigger picture I need to play "Prides advocate".
I guess its all down to image, maybe Pride and all the other sins have had a bad press and just need a bit of spin.
Leveraging the sins
Lets see how we can address the various mortal bullet points.
(this is just a starter get the sales guys to flesh it out)
Lust - Premium Phone lines, Sex in film and all forms of advertising, clothing (push "sexy" fashion in to lower age ranges for future sales and to gradually open up that market)
Gluttony - Take-aways (see also Sloth), Super size portions, "Two for the price of one"
All you can eat for £X. Get some low-fat stuff going so they can still pork out but in a (oh please) "low" way.
Greed - sort of covered by general advertising and peer pressure but watch the green crowd stop them using words like limit or moderation - low return and un-sexy terms.
Sloth - Lets make walking and cycling for low achievers and misfits, cars are the thing faster the better. Lets push computer games (But watch that Wi-Fit rubbish) get everything and all services piped to your house so you never need to get up from the sofa.
Get into new lines like media enabled toilets, we are loosing valuable advertising time while they do that stuff.
Wrath - again computer games, violent film, invade some countries for their own protection (not the oil) kick some other-religious pious "sin aware" ass.
Bring down all manner of punishment on those who won't fall in line with the proud beliefs of the consumer. Maybe shoot some teachers and pupils from your school - maybe you can't excel with "pride and lust" but any looser can still "wrath" with the right kit.
Envy - "big it up" get yourself some bling and big wheels, put on a show feel the envy and do it more. Hey this all sort of works together.
Pride - top it off with some fine biatches respecting his (fill this in as topical) develop some gestures so even while moving the guy sells pride in who he is and what he stands for.
Get them to "Demand Respect" so anyone who mentions negative sides of pride can be introduced to Wrath.
Oh and on the phraseology thing keep pressing new new terms and ideas into tomorrows customers, we need them to feel alienated to and cut off from those old folks who know the whole sin thing cos that is holding us back, limiting our "market penetration" (nice phrase does lust wrath and greed all in one).
===
It's funny how just getting one part of the image has for me helped the rest come in to focus.
The worst bit is I can see myself in that image now and wait! isn't that you over there?
Middle aged bloke who uses this for the occasional rant, take no notice.

No comments:
Post a Comment