Sunday, 11 January 2009

Ham Radio

I have an amateur radio license, have not used it for many years but took the test because I was sick of the "Hams" looking down on me, especially as I was fixing kit for some of them.
CB got me interested back in the early 80's made some interesting friends and spent many a night talking to people I would never meet.

It's just occurred to me why I liked it and why I hated it.
Who connects to who in radio circles is dependant on many things, atmospherics, sun flare activity, physical location, efficiency, orientation of aerials and just plain trying.
There is a degree of interaction with the planet and solar system resulting in often two widely spaced strangers being given an "introduction by phenomena" loved that.
Due to the open nature of simple radio communications there are rules under which "Hams" must operate, mostly based on the "keep it non controversial" idea. No Religious rants, politics, sex or anything that could cause offence to any country that could hear you which at many frequencies will include "Most of them".
So there is the hate.
With luck I could talk to so complete stranger in another country, probably off the beaten tourist track, maybe even someone living a life that would reveal a thousand truths and what could I get deep about? nothing.
It's best not to tell people when you live alone and/or are going to be "away for a day or two" or specifically where you live in case it invites theft, combined with the politics and all other taboos suddenly the wonder that is radio becomes the tortured discussion on equipment and bunions that is so much "Ham". You are allowed to talk to somebody, just make sure you don't say anything.

On and its not strictly true to say I didn't meet anybody from the CB, one girl I spoke to every night eventually said I could drop over with some other people.
The look of disappointment on her face taught me a good lesson about any form of communication that is not face to face, our minds fill in the sensory gaps and often with images from our dreams.

No comments:

About Me